The position of a Brake Press Operator will be responsible for the set up and the operation of the brake press.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Set ups and operates brake press. Produces parts per part print and labor standards to achieve production goals.
- Observes operation to detect defects or machine malfunction, modifies programs to account for problems encountered during operation.
- Sets up brake press with correct material, using proper tooling. Calibrate for the correct dimensions at bending radius.
- Interprets work orders and drawings, be able to program the computer to bend pieces correctly and update computer memory files. Read traveler for specific instructions.
- Uses inspection devices to inspect parts according to print and use check fixtures to verify that the part is to print as required.
- Makes small, mathematically calculated angle corrections and picks and loads tooling, as identified in the CNC program, from tooling inventory.
- Reads the print fully to understand tolerances, geometry, material thickness, and special instructions.
- Assist with operating robotic welding equipment.
- Maintains a clean, organized work area to support 5S initiative, personal and environment safety goals, and accomplish quality production.
- Follows safety regulations and observes environment to ensure safe working conditions are present and corrects issues that need attention.
- Accurately completes daily time cards and required production documentation.
- Serves as a positive role model in the work place and works in teams to accomplish overall plant goals regarding safety, efficiency, quality, and customer satisfaction.
- May perform other duties as required and/or assigned.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, physical demands and/or ability required for this position to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Ability to prepare and run complex bend setups and forming operations. This includes custom punch/die modification used in combination with other tooling (either standard or custom).
- Ability to do complex programming using all features of the press brake. E.g. bending at angles, step bends, proper back gauge transfer between steps, delays, etc.
- Minimum of 1-year experience in a manufacturing industry or equivalent
- Preferred- Previous experience facilitating the flow of work to and from manufacturing work stations
- Preferred – Previous experience in brake press operation or welding.
- Ability to interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedural manuals
- Ability to use a computer and read measurement devices such as tape measure, combination square, carpenters square, T square, etc.
- Preferred -Ability to read and comprehend detailed drawings, prints, and work orders
Physical Demands and Working Environment:
- Ability to lift, position, move, bend, flip parts in order to accomplish production goals that require loading, adjusting, turning, and removing small and large parts up to 50lbs
- Ability to occasionally lift greater than 75lbs with assistance
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time, bend, kneel, reach, lift, sit, in hot, cold, dusty, elevated, noisy area where foot and automated equipment movement, airborne, dust/fumes, and ultraviolet light are present
- Ability to operate a forklift
- Exposure to moving mechanical parts